July 11, 2014 by misterplumber
We usually associate plumbing with pipes that carry water from its source to different parts of the house. The pipes are just parts of the plumbing system and there are many things around the house that should be taken into consideration to have a properly working plumbing system.
Simple Plumbing Tips for Homeowner
The proper functioning of the plumbing system relies on several different things, some of which might not be a direct part of it, but they do play important parts towards its orderly operations. The rest of the article gives you some simple tips that will contribute to a better plumbing system in your Toronto house.
- Check dishwashers and dishwashers for leaks and bulges.
- Disposal system should be spared of hard-to-grind wastes like bones and fruit and vegetable peelings.
- Make it a routine to run cold water in your drain for 15 seconds before and after using the disposal. It will help flush the waste.
- Avoid flushing cooking oil in kitchen sinks and drains. It is a potential cause of clogging when it hardens.
- Put strainers on bathroom drains. It will protect against clogging brought by hair strands, and resides of soap, shampoo, and other bathing products.
- Always check for signs of water damage in floors and walls. Humidity and moisture are two signs that should always be looked for.
- Pipes hidden beneath the walls should also be checked for signs of leaks and damages. One way of doing this is by pressing the wall where the pipes are hidden. Softness of the wall is a telltale sign of leaks.
- Keep gutters free of debris such as leaves. It will facilitate smooth flow of rain water down your rain barrel or sewerage line.
- Install gutter guards like screens and covers to prevent leaves and other debris from accumulating.
- Check your yard for standing water. It is a sign of possible leaks in outdoor plumbing pipes.
- Never flush solid objects like tissue, diaper, and other sanitary products in the toilet. They are catalysts of clogs.
- Plumbing fixtures like faucets in kitchens and bathrooms should always be cleaned. Spare them from residues of cleansers to prevent corrosion and rusting.
- Valves should always be exercised to prevent sticking and to delay rusting and corrosive reactions.
- Leaking and lose faucets should be fixed or replaced immediately. The water dripping out of these leaks is equivalent to wastage of money in your water bill.
- Always have a sump pump ready. It is your first line of defense against basement flooding especially during rainy season.
- Be sure to have plungers and mechanical snakes in your inventory of plumbing tools. They are your weapons against clogs in sinks and drains.
- Put the contact number of reliable builders on your phonebook. They are just a call away to assist you during severe plumbing needs.
In Toronto Area, Mister Plumber is one of the leaders in providing reliable and quality plumbing solutions such as repairs and installations.
If you are still looking for trusted plumber, Mister Plumber in Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York specializing sewer repair, upgrade waterline, water service upgrade, drain cleaning, backwater valve installation, lead pipe replacement, re-piping and emergency plumbing, Mister Plumber uses the latest technology to effectively troubleshoot and quickly repair any plumbing problem and offers a fast response and free estimates.